lrk’s blog

just another edublogs.org weblog

deaf role models

LOGONEW.JPGDRMDS stands for Deaf Role Models for Deaf Students. This site is the result of two projects funded by Deakin University’s Higher Education Equity Programme (HEEP): ‘Schools and On Line: Encouraging Access to Higher Education’ (2002-2003) and ‘Deaf Mentors’ (2000-2001).

HEEP is administered by the Commonwealth Department of Education, Training and Youth Affairs (DETYA), with additional funds contributed by the Faculty of Education. HEEP gives grants to institutions to develop projects such as this one, with the aim of increasing the diversity of students in higher education. Projects are aimed at supporting students from the equity target groups: people with disabilities, people from non-English speaking backgrounds, women in non-traditional areas of study, people from rural and isolated areas and people from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds. Funding goes to universities with a good record in student equity over the past year.
As project manager, I have continued to develop materials and information on this site. Other Deakin University personnel involved in the projects included Jenny Lee (Faculty of Arts), Caroline Coles (Video editing), David Owies (Manager Learning Services). Research assistants employed for these projects were Angela Maclean and Sandy Leane.

The initial project aimed to improve access to and the participation and success of deaf students in higher education by:

• supporting deaf students at Deakin University and local Technical and Further Education (TAFE) colleges
  • documenting resources for deaf students in higher education
  • publishing profiles of the academic and career achievements of Deaf adults
  • introducing deaf students to deaf adults as part of a mentoring program.

5 Comments

5 Comments so far ↓

• Research Paper Editing

I have been visiting various blogs for my Research Paper Editing work. I have found your blog to be quite useful.Keep updating your blog with valuable information… Regards

• DominguezPatrica25

I had a dream to make my company, nevertheless I didn’t have enough amount of money to do it. Thank goodness my close dude recommended to use the business loans. Thence I took the auto loan and made real my old dream.

• Sam Lyme

Would you like a graff t-shirt? In case you are, take a look absolutely no further than the Case Two Graffiti T-Shirt available from the Style Wars Restoration Project. Sketched by celebrated graffiti artist Kase Two (sometimes known as Kase 2), it is an amazing illustration showing his own hallmark “Computer Rock Style” which stimulated every era of graffiti writers after its conceiving in the early 1980′s.

• Eye Care

I am glad that I noticed this site, exactly the right info that I was looking for!

• austin search engine optimization

very good program for deaf studying thanks for sharing information via this blog